Create Group Restricted Discussion Areas
This article provides instructors with step-by-step instructions describing how to set up group-restricted discussion areas when you create a new group category so only the group members can participate.
You can set up group-restricted discussion areas when you create a new group category; only students who are in a group can participate in the group discussion.
To Create Group Discussion Areas
In order to create a group-restricted discussion area, you will need to first set up groups in your course. If you haven’t already done so, please follow the steps in our support document: Setting Up Groups.
1. When creating a new group category, in order to attach groups to a discussion area, please navigate to the Additional Options section at the bottom of the New Category creation page.
2. Select Set up discussion areas to create a discussion area for each group.
3. Select a forum in which the discussion areas will be allocated.
a. If you have already created a discussion forum that you want to use, select it from the Forum drop down menu.
b. If you want to create a new forum for the group discussion, click New Forum (to the right of the drop down menu). A New Forum pop-up window will open. Enter a Title for your new discussion forum (and a description, if applicable).
4. By default, Brightspace is set to automatically Create new topic for the discussion area you wish to set up. If you’d like to set up a new topic, leave this option selected.
5. To attach the groups to an existing topic, select Attach to existing topic and select the appropriate topic from the drop down menu
6. If you have attached your groups to an existing discussion topic, Click Save. If, you have opted to create a new topic, please move on to the following steps
To Create a New Topic
7. On the Create Restricted Topics page, choose from the following options:
a.Create one topic per group: each group has a different discussion topic
b. Create one topic with threads separated by group: all groups are assigned the same topic; each group has their own separate thread. (Groups will discuss the same topic, but each group’s discussions will occur separately).
8. Select one of the three options at the bottom of the page:
a. Click Create and Next if you only need to create one group-restricted discussion forum
b. Click Add Another if you want to create another group-restricted discussion forum then repeat step 1.
c. Click Skip if you decide you don’t want to create group-restricted discussion topics.
9. On the new page, click the blue Done button.
Need to contact us for support?