Final Adjusted Grade
This article describes the steps you need to take in order to adjust and release final grades to your students, and how you preview grades from the student perspective.
When you first click on the Grades option on your course navigation bar, you will notice that there are two columns created by the system: Final Calculated Grade and Final Adjusted Grade. By default, the grades in these two columns are NOT displayed to your students, but the Final Calculated Grade column is the one where the students’ final grades are displayed, once Brightspace calculates them.
Brightspace calculates the final grades for students based on the grading system you selected, and the students’ grades that are entered into the Gradebook, using the weights you entered for all the assessments that count towards the final grade. In those situations where you, the instructor, want more control over the final grades, adjusting the final grade for students is the way to go, then Final Adjusted Grade can be used and released to students instead of the Final Calculated Grade.
Note 1: You can manually change the final grade calculation without affecting grade item scores.
If you decide to use adjusted final grades for one student in your course, you will need to use the Final Adjusted Grade column for all students in the course. This does not imply, however, that final grades must be manually adjusted for all students.
Note 2: The Grade Book must be configured to use adjusted final grades. If you plan to use adjusted final grades, you should make the adjustments before you release the final grades.
This is how you adjust and release final grades to students:
Step 1: Check your gradebook settings:
- Click on Grades option on the course navigation bar.
- Click on the Settings wheel in the top right.
- Select the Calculation Options tab.
- Scroll down to ensure that Adjusted Final Grade is selected under Final Grade Released.
- Press Save and Yes.
Step 2: Click again on Grades on the course navigation bar.
- Click on the small drop-down arrow beside Final Calculated Grade.
- Select Enter Grades.
- At the top of that page, click on the small drop-down arrow beside Final Grades.
- Select Transfer All to transfer all grades to the final adjusted grade (Note: This step will override any grades previously entered in the Final Adjusted Grade column).
- Select Yes on the pop-up box.
- Under the Final Adjusted Grade column, you can alter the grades of the students.
- When you are finished, click on the small box to the top left of all the students’ names to select all, and click Release/Unrelease.
- To check if it worked, make sure that all the boxes under Released (on the right hand) side of the students’ grades are checked off.
- Press Save and Close and press Yes on the pop-up box.
Check that the final adjusted grades have been released by scrolling all the way to the right-hand side until you see the Final Adjusted Grade. All the students should have a grade under that column with an open eyeball beside it.
This is how you preview grades from the student perspective:
Brightspace has a very simple way to allow an instructor to preview grades from a student perspective, without the need to impersonate a student. Select Grades from the course Navbar, and on the Enter Grades screen, click on the chevron to the right of a student’s name then select Preview from the drop down menu.
Note: The Preview will appear in a pop-up window. Only the columns/grades that are visible to students when they click on the Grades menu, will show up in the pop-up window, making it very easy for you to spot if you have made any mistake.
Need to contact us for support?
Does this article need to be updated or corrected?
If you find this article does not provide correct information or needs updating, Let us know!